|Activities:||Game Viewing, Trekking;|
|Min Persons:||2||Max Persons:||7|
This is a unique opportunity to undertake game viewing by train at Selous Game Reserve, followed by some very rewarding and fairly strenuous walking in the Udzungwa Mountains National Park. Udzungwa has a unique rainforest with many rare, endemic plants. Home to six types of primate as well as populations of elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard and wild dog. And rare species of forest birds. Udzungwa Mountains National Park has some of the best walking in Tanzania. This trek is organized to coincide with the train timings on the Tanzania to Zambia train line.
Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Udzungwa (Must start on a Tuesday or Friday)
Transfer from Dar es Salaam to Udzungwa by TAZARA Train. The journey starts from the coastal plain through Kazimzumbwe forest, one of the oldest forests in the world, and on through savannah wooded plain. The train passes through Selous Game Reserve and tunnels into Udzungwa, the journey takes about 6 hours. If the train is on time you will have a good hour or so of daylight in Selous Game Reserve. The evening is a very good time for observing wildlife. Arrive at Mang’ula Halt at 21:45. On arrival you will be transfered to your accommodation for dinner and overnight stay.
Day 2: Hiking to Sanje Waterfalls
Breakfast at the resort, meet the guide and head out to the Sanje waterfalls. It is about 5 to 6 hours hiking through green forest. Expect to see monkeys, including rare Iringa red colobus and huge ancient trees, some of them 200 years old. Descend and transfer to your lodgings for dinner and overnight stay.
Day 3: Mwanihana Trail
After breakfast you will transfer to the village of Sonjo and begin the Mwanihana trek. An armed park ranger will accompany you because there are numerous elephant and buffalo in the area. As you trek, study the tracks and signs in the forest and various medicinal plants, your ranger will explain. Reach Njia Ya Panda (the ‘climbing path’). Descend down to the next camp for dinner and overnight stay.
Day 4: Mwanihana Peak (2150m)
After breakfast trek through various types of forest. From miombo woodland, low-land forest, sub-mountain forest, highland plateau to montane forest. Thereafter you reach the bare rock and grassy glades of the summit. The view of Kilombero Valley is fantastic. Descend to the camp for dinner.
Day 5: Udzungwa Mountains - Back to the Gate
Early breakfast, then you descend to the gate and the resort for a shower and refreshments. This is an ideal tour if you are a backpacker travelling south under your own steam. However, if you intend to return to Dar es Salaam then you can either take the public bus at your own expense or we can arrange, at extra cost, for a private car to bring you back.
*** End of Service ***
|SC21: Udzungwa Trekking by Tazara Train (SC21)|
please contact us for current prices and accommodations on this tour
|Product Class||price per person|
|price per person|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for budget prices.|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for mid-range prices.|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for luxury prices.|
- All activities as per the itinerary
- All Accommodation as per itinerary – N.B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availabilty at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All meals as per itinerary (3 a day unless otherwise stated)
- All transfers to and from agreed pick up and drop off points (e.g. Airport, Bus Station or hotel in town etc)
- All camping gear (if you are camping)
- Service of an English speaking driver/guide
- Safari base 4×4 Vehicle with open roof for game viewing (sometimes a saloon car or other SUV for excursions in town etc.)
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Bottled mineral water daily
- All Government taxes
- All Nature Trail Fees.
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- International flights & corresponding taxes
- Flying doctors rescue services
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurances
- Tips to the driver & guides
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions (above).