|Min Persons:||2||Max Persons:||7|
Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Pangani
Pick up from your hotel in Dar es Salaam and drive with packed lunch to Pangani. The small town of Pangani which is on the river of the same name is rich in culture and history. It was a major hub of the slave caravans during the slave trading years. Presently, Pangani is well known for its untouched beaches which are off the beaten track since very few tourists venture this way. Enjoy the sun and sand.
Day 2: Pangani
Walking tour to the Pangani ancient centre to see some buildings that are more than 200 years old. You can visit former slave labour camps and a slave market site, lunch in town and then return to your beach resort for relaxation.
Day 3: Pangani – Bagamoyo
After breakfast, we depart for the historic coastal town of Bagamoyo, the original capital of German East Africa. Bagamayo was one of the first and most important trading ports along the East African coast. The town is full of historic monuments an ancient Arab and Portuguese architecture. A wonderful stretch of beach allows you to chill out and return to the present day.
Day 4: Bagamoyo - Dar es Salaam
Spend the morning at leisure on the beach. Optionally, you can also visit the Bagamoyo School of Arts for a Ngoma (traditional dance) session (we can arrange this if given prior notice, but an extra cost applies). In the afternoon we drive down to Dar es Salaam.
Day 5: Dar es Salaam - Zanzibar
After breakfast we transfer you to Dar es Salaam harbour to get the boat to Zanzibar, it departs at 1000 hrs. Arrive Zanzibar in the midday and transfer to Mtoni Marine hotel for check in and lunch. Afternoon at leisure in the Beach.
Day 6: Stone Town and a free afternoon
After breakfast you depart for a 2 – 3 hours tour of the historic stone town. Walking through the narrow alleys your guide will explain and answer questions. He will take you to the House of Wonders, the Palace Museum (People’s Palace), Dr Livingstone’s House and the Arab Fort. You will also see Zanzibar’s bustling market, ornately carved and studded doors, two cathedrals and countless mosques! If time allows, you will also visit the site of Sultan Barghash’s harem at Marahubi. Your guide will also show you some excellent gift shops with plenty of souvenirs and handicrafts. Back to your accommodation for lunch and you are free to do your own thing in the afternoon.
Day 7: Prison Island Tour
In the morning leave your lodgings for a half day tour of the Prison Island. Prison Island is a beautiful island just off Zanzibar Town. Throughout history this island has served various purposes. Although it was originally built as a prison it was never used for that purpose. Instead, it was later used as a quarantine for slaves from all over eastern Africa. The remnants of the buildings are still visible. The island offers a stunning view of the town, especially at night. There is a very beautiful small, sandy beach with marvelous swimming in crystal waters. The coral reefs surrounding the island provide an opportunity for snorkeling. Here is also the home of the giant turtle, which is now under strict conservation. A short, guided tour around the island will show all these areas of interest. In the midday back to Stone Town for lunch and an afternoon of leisure of your own choice – there is so much to do and see here.
Day 8: Zanzibar - Dar
Rest and relax at the resort’s beachside. After lunch walk down to the ferry to catch your fast ferry to Dar es Salaam. On arrival we will pick you up and transfer you to the agreed drop off point (airport, lodgings, bus station etc.)
*** End of Service ***
|SC24: Tanzania Slave Trade History including Zanzibar (SC24)|
please contact us for current prices and accommodations on this tour
|Product Class||price per person|
|price per person|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for budget prices.|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for mid-range prices.|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for luxury prices.|
- All activities as per the itinerary
- All Accommodation as per itinerary – N.B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availabilty at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All meals as per itinerary (3 a day unless otherwise stated)
- All transfers to and from agreed pick up and drop off points (e.g. Airport, Bus Station or hotel in town etc)
- All camping gear (if you are camping)
- Service of an English speaking driver/guide
- Safari base 4×4 Vehicle with open roof for game viewing (sometimes a saloon car or other SUV for excursions in town etc.)
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Bottled mineral water daily
- All Government taxes
- All Museum Fees.
- All Historic and Culture Site or Event Fees
- Inland flight fares (if that is part of your itinerary)
- Train fares (if that is part of your itinerary)
- Boat fares (if your itinerary icludes a boat journey in Tanzanian Waters)
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- International flights & corresponding taxes
- Flying doctors rescue services
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurances
- Tips to the driver & guides
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions (above).