Kilwa Kivinje - Kilwa Masoko - Kilwa Kisiwani
|Activities:||Coastal Relaxation, Beaches, Culture, History, Canoeing, Wildlife;|
|Min Persons:||2||Max Persons:||7|
This tour to Kilwa is one of our relaxation safaris along the southern Coast. There are three Kilwa’s each with a lot of history from ninth century A.D. Today they are quiet and remote but in the past they were the location of a powerful and prosperous settlement ruled by independent African Sultanates. Visit this ancient East African Port, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Kilwa-Visit Kilwa Kivinje
Early morning pick-up from the agreed meeting point in Dar then drive 4 hours to Kilwa. Our first highlight is Kilwa Kivinje to see the German and Arabic historic buildings before heading to Kilwa Masoko where you will check in at the appropriate lodging. Afterwards, a relaxing afternoon on the beach.
Day 2: Kilwa Masoko-Visit Kilwa Kisiwani
After breakfast our local guide will pick you up for a visit to the Kilwa Masoko area including the Salt Fields. Discover how locals harvest salt from the Indian Ocean. Visit the local market, or stay beachside. Afternoon drive back to the hotel for hot lunch and a short rest. At 02:30 drive to the ferry where you will catch your fiber boat to Kilwa Kisiwani. At Kilwa Kisiwani our guide will lead you through Malindi Mosque and Cemetery, Kilwa’s Fort Makutani, and the tombs of the Kilwa Sultans. After sunset walk back to the ferry ready to drive back to Masoko.
Day 3: Full Day Tour Kilwa
After breakfast you visit the ruins and the village where you will freely interact with local people and then proceed to the hippo pool for watching hippos and birds. Canoe down the Indian Ocean to experience beautiful views of Kilwa Island decorated with mangroves, coconut, palm trees and ruins that will take your mind back to the days of exploration. Learn local ways of taming and locating fish. Do some fishing: try to catch a fish that will be prepared for your lunch or dinner. End your day by enjoying coffee with local people under the fig tree during the evening hours whilst listening to traditional stories: a real feeling of authentic Swahili culture.
Day 4: Kilwa - Dar es Salaam
Breakfast at the hotel in Kilwa before starting the drive back to Dar-es-Salaam, where you will be dropped off in the late afternoon.
*** End of Service ***
|SC04: Swahili Coast Culture and History|
prices are valid for tours beginning before: 2020-06-30
|Product Class||price per person|
|price per person|
|SC04 Budget||pax 2 - 3:|
|pax 4 - 6:|
|SC04 Midrange||pax 2 - 3:|
|pax 4 - 6:|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for luxury prices.|
- All activities as per the itinerary
- All Accommodation as per itinerary – N.B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availabilty at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All meals as per itinerary (3 a day unless otherwise stated)
- All transfers to and from agreed pick up and drop off points (e.g. Airport, Bus Station or hotel in town etc)
- All camping gear (if you are camping)
- Service of an English speaking driver/guide
- Safari base 4×4 Vehicle with open roof for game viewing (sometimes a saloon car or other SUV for excursions in town etc.)
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Bottled mineral water daily
- All Government taxes
- All Museum Fees.
- All Historic and Culture Site or Event Fees
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- International flights & corresponding taxes
- Flying doctors rescue services
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurances
- Tips to the driver & guides
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions (above).