Mikumi National Park Safari
|Min Persons:||2||Max Persons:||6|
A Mikumi short break is ideal if you have little time in Dar es Salaam, or if you are on a tight budget. It is, however, a glorious national park, the fourth largest in Tanzania, covering an area of 3,230 km². The Mikumi landscape is sometimes compared to that of the Serengeti as it has vast wide open savanna plains. The savanna gives way to the alluvial floodplains of the Mkata River Basin. This is home to not just savanna wildlife but wetland fauna too. Hippos can be seen in the pools and you have the opportunity of viewing many bird species – over 400 species have been recorded here. Most savanna animals are present but some highlights are: African wild dogs, greater kudu and tree dwelling lions. The drive from Dar es Salaam, after Morogoro, is extremely scenic with the Uluguru mountains on your left and the distant Udzungwa Mountains straight ahead of you. We also offer slightly longer tours that include not just Mikumi but the Udzungwa Mountains National Park too (see here).
Day 1: Dar es Salaam – Mikumi National Park
After an early morning pick up at the agreed point in Dar es Salaam we depart for Mikumi National Park. We arrive in time for lunch after which we set out for an afternoon game drive, returning in time for dinner at your lodgings. You can choose to make the most of this day by booking a night game drive (see below).
Day 2: Mikumi National Park - Dar es Salaam
Another early start to get the most of the morning’s game drive; early morning is a great time to see many animals. Mikumi’s vegetation includes woodland, swamp and grassland with two water holes, Mkata and Chamgore where you might see malachite kingfisher, monitor lizard and perhaps even a python inhabiting the pools. Birds abound in any case and the vast plains are home to many carnivores and herbivores. On the way back we stop at the charming market town of Morogoro for lunch and perhaps a short stroll before returning to the agreed drop off point in Dar es Salaam.
*** End of Service ***
|SC06: Mikumi Safari Short Break|
prices are valid for tours beginning before: 2019-06-30
|Product Class||price per person|
|price per person|
|SC06 Budget||pax 2 - 3:|
|pax 4 - 6:|
|SC06 Midrange||pax 2 - 3:|
|pax 4 - 6:|
|Please contact us (form above top right) for luxury prices.|
- All activities as per the itinerary
- All Accommodation as per itinerary – N.B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availabilty at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All meals as per itinerary (3 a day unless otherwise stated)
- All transfers to and from agreed pick up and drop off points (e.g. Airport, Bus Station or hotel in town etc)
- All camping gear (if you are camping)
- Service of an English speaking driver/guide
- Safari base 4×4 Vehicle with open roof for game viewing (sometimes a saloon car or other SUV for excursions in town etc.)
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Bottled mineral water daily
- All Government taxes
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- International flights & corresponding taxes
- Flying doctors rescue services
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurances
- Tips to the driver & guides
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions (above).
|Night Game Drive - Add-On Prices from: 0.00 US$ (price depends on location).|
Usually these game drives begin at 20:00 and end around 22:30. You may wish for a quieter afternoon or a later start the next day.
Lions are above all active at this time as are other carnivores, reptiles such as the python and both aardvark and pangolin.
A night time safari is a great adventure that you will never forget.
|If you would like to add one of these options then please inform us as early as you can.|