South Pare Mountain trekking
|Ecotour, Culture tour, Trekking
This tour takes you to some local villages on the Mbaga hills at Manka in the Kilimanjaro Region. Also to the center of southern Pare Mountains for eco-tours. You will visit the historic Malameni Rock, where children were sacrificed to gods to appease evil spirits. You trek through the Chome forest reserve in the Shengena Mountains to Tona moorland and Ranz-dam. At the foothills is Mkomazi National Park, which contains 90% of all botanic species in Tanzania, and a third of those plants are clarified as unique to the world (endemic).
Day 1: Arrival
On arrival day, we pick you up from JRO airport and transfer you to the hotel booked in Moshi overnight.
Day 2: Materuni waterfall - Pare Mountain (Manka)
In the morning, pick up from your hotel and drive to Materuni Village. First, you will visit the waterfalls, which are around a 40-minute walk away. On the way, your guide will inform you about the culture of the Chagga, village life and explain the surrounding fauna and flora. The views are truly breathtaking, and with some luck, you will see the summit of
Kilimanjaro. When you reach the waterfalls, you will see that they are more than 80 meters high. The pool at the bottom of the waterfall is an inviting place for a refreshing swim, so don‘t forget your swimwear!
After enjoying the scenery, you slowly return with your guide to Materuni village, where you will experience a traditional Chagga lunch. You also will have the opportunity to taste our local banana beer – definitely not to be missed!
But that’s not all. Next, the coffee experience awaits you. Here you will learn how coffee is cultivated, dried, roasted, and further processed. You will also be invited to help with the grinding of the coffee, which is traditionally accompanied by Chagga songs and dances – a fun way to immerse yourself in the local culture. Before you say goodbye and drive to Pare in the afternoon, you can savor the coffee you made and appreciate the views of the surrounding rainforest. Arrive at Mbaga Hill late evening for overnight.
Day 3: Manka Chome village
Get up at 06:30 am for an early breakfast followed by hiking Tona Moorland, heading to Tona Ranz Dam. Missionary Mr. D.J. Danholz had a wheat farm at Tona Moorland. You then continue the trek to Chome village, where you will arrive in the early afternoon for lunch. Enjoy this interesting village which is very green and famous for producing vegetable and fruits.
Day 4: Chome - Shengena Mountain - Chome
Breakfast in Chome, and then ascend Mt. Shengena, which rises to 2463m, the highest point in both the Pare and Usambara mountains. Continue hiking up through Shengena forest reserve, consisting of endemic plant species and the Shengena black and white Colobus monkeys. After approximately a 3 hour walk, you will reach the peak where on clear days, you will be able to view Mt. Meru, Kilimanjaro, and the Usambaras. In another 3 hours, you descend to Chome, arriving in the early afternoon for lunch. Chill out for the afternoon or walk around the area.
Day 5: Chome - Manka - Arusha
After breakfast, walk back to Manka where you will arrive in the early afternoon in time for lunch. After lunch the drive will take you back to Arusha.
*** End of Service ***
- All activities as per the itinerary
- All Accommodation as per itinerary – N.B. accommodation mentioned in the itinerary is dependent on availabilty at the time of booking; alternatives of a similar class may be booked instead
- All meals as per itinerary (3 a day unless otherwise stated)
- All transfers to and from agreed pick up and drop off points (e.g. Airport, Bus Station or hotel in town etc)
- All camping gear (if you are camping)
- Service of an English speaking driver/guide
- Safari base 4×4 Vehicle with open roof for game viewing (sometimes a saloon car or other SUV for excursions in town etc.)
- Driver’s salary and allowances and park fees for vehicle and driver
- Bottled mineral water daily
- All Government taxes
- All Nature Trail Fees.
- Extras, personal expenses i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Optional activities not outlined on the itinerary
- International flights & corresponding taxes
- Flying doctors rescue services
- Travel, medical, injury and luggage insurances
- Tips to the driver & guides
- Anything else not mentioned in the inclusions (above).